Empower yourself, smile, and be positive! In keeping with this month’s focus on happiness, here are 10 behavioral choices that can block happiness. If you notice you engage in a couple of these behaviors, don’t beat yourself up just decide to change it and start today!
1. Impressing. What you have —your possessions, your accomplishments—don’t result in real relationships or lasting happiness.
Instead, be authentic and real no matter what your station in life. People like that!
2. Blaming. Your response to any situation is your choice. Try making it a learning opportunity—taking responsibility is empowering.
Instead of saying, “I can’t because…” try saying, “I can because…”
3. Controlling. It doesn’t help you feel good about yourself. Honor your boundaries, but make space for others’ needs and choices, too.
Instead of telling your partner how to drive, sit back and enjoy the ride.
4. Criticizing. We are all unique and different, not better or worse. Appreciate the differences instead of zeroing in on shortcomings.
Instead, name three things you value about the person you’re upset with!
5. Whining. Complaining is ineffective, whereas asking for what you want is liberating.
Clearly state what you want or don’t want. People listen when you speak that way.
6. Clinging to what is known. When you’re feeling afraid or insecure, be willing to let go of the familiar, take a risk and try something new.
Instead, cling to creating new and unknown experiences.
7. Being Ungrateful. Stay aware of all the gifts and blessings that you do have. Express gratitude, and happiness will follow.
Say two words and repeat often: thank you, thank you, thank you…
8. Preaching. Another form of judging; find more fun and empowering ways to share your knowledge.
Instead, ask to hear others stories and talk less about your own.
9. Negative Self-talk. Train yourself to notice your mind’s chatter. Working towards changing negative thoughts to positive ones will transform your life.
Just be nice to yourself already!
10. Fear. Don’t let fear get in the way of progress. Whatever you’ve been dreaming, get going on it. “Feel the fear and do it anyway.”
Remember…fear is just a feeling, not a reality and keep moving.
Author’s content used under license, © Claire Communications